While certain sons and daughters of Scotland are keen for it to become a more widely celebrated event (much like St Patrick's Day, which is just an excuse to get obliterated, and who really wants to emulate that?), I'm not convinced. Scot or no Scot.
For a start, not only am I able to remember ever celebrating St Andrew's Day myself, I can't remember anyone I know other then my family celebrating it. Probably because we already have Burns night every 25 January, which is much more widely observed. Burns night is a right old laugh; poetry, dancing, whisky and, of course, haggis. What does a person do on St Andrew's Day? Well, this year some of my countrymen are attempting the 'World's Largest Dashing White Sergeant' (that's a dance, by the way) while others prefer 'aqua ceilidhs'. Like I said, I'm not convinced, and turning it into a gimmick isn't going to help it catch on.
I'm a passionate Scot (watching Italy score that last gasp winner at Hampden was as close as I've ever come to a broken heart) - which is more than I can say for St Andrew, who was born in Bethsaida in the Sea of Galilee and never even came here during his life. The poor bloke's relics were apparently brought from Constantinople and landed in the town now named after him in Fife, which was then under the control of King Angus MacFergus (now there's a Scot).
And it turns out that St Andrew is also the patron saint of Russia, Sicily, Greece, Romania and Ukraine as well as all mariners, fishermen, rope-makers and, er, singers, which is just greedy.
So these are just a few of the reasons why I think most of the Scots I know don't give two hoots about St Andrew's Day. But, if you disagree with me or have strong views about its significance, please send us a message and share your thoughts.
And you'll be sure to let us know how that Dashing White Sergeant goes, won't you?
Have a wee dram, and remember Alba Gu Brath my fellow lads and lassies!

No comments:
Post a Comment