I get into these nasty debates with people all of the time about gay people, conformity and stereotypes. I hate it and I hate the idea of it. Lets face it, in this day and age there is no way to be truly be unique. You can go out and buy a shirt and come back being different from everyone else that you know, but the company that made that shirt made several thousand to hundred thousand copies of that shirt that many other people have bought and are wearing.
Even if you make your own clothes, someone in the world has used that same kind of fabric to make a shirt of their own. This much I understand. But conformity and stereotypes shape our communities a little to much for my taste, and in ways I don’t appreciate.
I’m so fed up with this manly man business. Why do so many men feel that they need to prove so much to nobody. If you have a penis, then you are a man. If you have a vagina, you are a woman. If you have both, you are a hermaphrodite. Cut and dry. The ability to scream, burp, fart in someone’s face, be an asshole and lift heavy objects are nowhere in the definition of being a man.
People blame my being gay on the fact that I don’t do these things. My sexuality has nothing to do with the fact that I don’t obey “man law.” It has everything to do with the fact that I find it gross and obnoxious. I am just as capable as anyone at screaming, burping, farting in someone’s face, being an asshole and lifting heavy objects as the next person, I just don’t feel it necessary. For the most part, I do what I want, how I want to, and it makes me happy. I don’t feel the need to constantly please people by altering my personality and I don’t really care if people hate me for it. To me, it’s a sign of insecurity with ones self.
I totally disassociate myself from the gay community because of this. Being gay is not something you are born with, its what you choose to do, but being a flamboyant boy who’s style, mind and life is based around walking the line of a sex change is something that the community, those that frequent it, and support it, and media drives just reflects the behaviour that these gays do and to be. And it drives me crazy, that people be this way.
I suppose I am not gay anymore.
Monday, 27 October 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's not your fault if your friend can't distinguish between physical and moral distaste. No, it is not homophobic per se to find unappealing the thought of gay male sex.
ReplyDeleteAs a gay man, I shudder at the thought of gay sex equally repelled by the idea of eating tripe or performing brain surgery.
Yet I have nothing against people who do these things. If your friend prefers politically correct lip-service to sincerity you should consider how well you are matched as friends.
Justin